Saturday, January 14, 2012

Share Your Girls Camp experiences!

So I find myself with so many great ideas for girls camp that I am stumped.  It's a common paradox of life for me :)

So I thought I would take a poll and ask YOU about your girls camp memories.  I am not about reinventing the wheel, since it's been perfected many times over by great leaders everywhere!  Girls camp is such a fun experience for most girls (ok, honestly, as a girl, I did NOT have any fun at Girls Camp, but that's another story, and I'll be nice.)

Here are my questions, please reply on this blog, or by email if it's easier.  I really look forward to hearing your answers, because I know it will help me know what works and what doesn't.

1.  What is the most important/memorable thing you ever learned at Girls Camp?
2.  What traditions did your ward/stake have for Girls Camp?
3.  Was there anything you remember that wasn't enjoyable about Girls Camp?  What was it and why was it not fun?
4.  What is the most important thing that you think youth today need to be reminded of?  (This can be a principle, a YW value, etc.)  How would YOU teach it at Girls Camp?
5.  Was there ever a Girls Camp Devotional or activity that really hit home for you?  Please describe it.
6.  What could have made Girls Camp more powerful for you, if anything?
7.  What are some of the things you STILL remember and use all the time from girls camp?
8.  What was your favorite craft?

Oooh, I'm really excited to read your replies.  I feel so strongly that Girls Camp is one of the most important events of a Young Woman's life, and I want to be sure to make ours awesome this year (and next...and the one after that...then maybe they'll be sick of me.)

Thanks for your help! 

2 comments:

  1. 1. The most important thing I think I learned at Girls Camp...Probably an appreciation for God's creations, and the amazingness that is the Earth...:)
    2. Our tradition was to do night games every night. It was way fun. :)
    3. I remember one year the entire camp was flooded. It was terrible.
    4. I think the one thing I would want to pass on to today's young women is modesty--that it isn't about anything other than showing the Lord how much you respect Him and yourself. That modesty isn't something that is being forced on them, but it's something that is asked of them from the Lord. :)
    5. We had a huge testimony meeting, and I just...knew. I knew the Church was true, and I knew that Heavenly Father loved me.
    6. All of my Girls Camp experiences have been fairly positive. :)
    7. I use stuff all the time. Crafts, game ideas, survival skills...
    8. My favorite craft at girls camp--we made flags representing each camp. It was cool because everyone got to pit in something and even though it was all different, it was beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say your youth are so LUCKY to have you invovled in Girls Camp!

    1. The most important thing I LEARNED at Girl's Camp when I was a youth was that I was a literal daughter of Heavenly Parents. I remember hearing A Child's Prayer for the first time there, and remember the impact that feeling had on me.
    2. In AZ where I lived at the time, it was a 6-8 hour drive to camp (depending on who was driving). The first year we had these big army tents, after that there were cabins with bunkbeds. Compared to my 2 years here as an adult leader, it seems we did a lot more singing at night around a "community" campfire with a huge bonfire blazing. Something about singing at night, whether spiritual or silly camp songs. There was a lodge where we had meals and did the skits. We always had "Elvis" come sing at some point.
    3. Dont recall anything that wasnt enjoyable, although the first year (in canvas tents)it rained a lot and everything was soaked, but what can ya do? One year lightening hit and blew up a tree on the other side of a small meadow from us! That was exciting!:)
    4. I would say that life isnt a competition. We have a lot of that going on in our ward. Pitting themselves against others, pride looking up and pride looking down. Somehow teaching that we are here to help each other and build each other. That if someone does well at something we should be happy for them, genuinely, and supportive. It doesnt take away from us at all if someone is better at something or more talented or prettier or whatever.
    5. We had a testimony meeting for the entire Stake the last night of the week, instead of breaking up into wards. That was memorable.
    6. Our stake included other towns around southern Arizona, my favorite part of camp was meeting the other girls and making friends of people I didnt know from school. I wish that we Ephraimites could share the GC experience with you guys and others around, but I guess that isnt possible:)
    7. I never really thought about it, but I would have to say teaching the survival skills could use help in our stake. The girls seem to be bored because it's often more of a lecture by an unprepared youth...I dont think they feel like they are getting anything much out of it.
    8. I know that we did crafts, but I dont remember anything in particular....

    Hope that some of this is helpful! And that more people answer, we are starting to "talk camp", too! Are you going to the training in Manti in a few Saturdays? Want to carpool?

    ReplyDelete